.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

After The Beep     Officially Discombobulated©
The text running across my forehead....

Tuesday, March 25, 2003

beeeeep!

"All The World's A Stage..."

Is it just me, or do the media think the war should be playing out according to their timetable? I keep hearing comments on news reports like "why are you attacking this place when you said before you weren't going to?" and "how has the surprise resistance here affected your plan of attack down the line?"

Not only do they seem to have forgotten the first rule of combat ("no plan survives contact with the enemy") but it's almost as if they have their own idea of when it should come to an end...



REPORTER: General, do you think you could get those tanks moving? I want us to be attacking the city by at least three p.m. so I can get the pictures on the news at five...

GENERAL: Excuse me, but could you get the f**k out of my command tent please?

REPORTER: ...and I arranged it all with the channel, you see, the war ending in three weeks. So we can show the triumphant entry into the capital in a special two-hour show after the sports results on the Saturday. We've got Stormin' Norman and George Foreman booked as commentators for the official surrender ceremony, so if you could get that in motion I'd be really grateful, I can promise you a real good interview deal. Six figure fee, know what I'm saying? We need to make the ratings, yeah, to beat the repeats of the "Gulf War: Episode I" documentary going out on the Discovery Channel...




"Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events." - Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

click

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home