.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

After The Beep     Officially Discombobulated©
The text running across my forehead....

Friday, April 02, 2004

beeeeep!

"Greetings Fellow Programs!"

Nasty day yesterday, by which I mean Wednesday. I had to explain to three (or was it four?) groups of people how a group of program functions I had written works. I hate public speaking of any type, small groups or large. And then they asked questions... does it do this, what about that, can it do the other. I rarely have the answers, and I try my best to look like I know what they are talking about AND that I know how to make it work too.

Not an easy task.

And then today (in other words, Thursday; damn that midnight thing!) it went live and operational. Yes, on April Fool's Day. Stupid bastards. Who the fuck has their tax year start on April Fool's Day? The idiots I do this contract work for in Andover, that's who. Morons.

It went well though. No catastrophic breakdowns, just a few cosmetic problems that were fixed by the end of the day.

The company I work for (my actual employers) also support a payroll software package. This time of year is pretty bad, as new tax year = new programs and things. There have been problems with this every year. Unavoidable, it seems. Programs don't quite work, things print out wrong, that kind of thing. Usually this is not so bad, but this year I'm not in the office to sort things out most of the week, only Monday and Friday. So there have been many problems this time around and no one has been able to sort it out all week really.

And the actual owner of the software keeps ringing up and saying if we can do this and that and what-have-you. Even if I had the development stuff with me I'd have been unable to see to it during the day anyway, because I'd be busy doing the job we're being paid to do in Andover. There were times when me and the boss actually turned our phones off to escape the guy.

Fucking irritating bastard. Stupid fucking payroll. I fucking hate them both and would not give a pair of fetid dingoes kidneys if it just broke and I never had to bother with it again.

...

I feel a lot better now. I think I'll go and sleep on the lovely big mattress of mine now.

Oh, and good luck to Jen.

I hope that hasn't jinxed anything.



"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." - Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

click

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home