.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

After The Beep     Officially Discombobulated©
The text running across my forehead....

Monday, August 16, 2004

beeeeep!

Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit

I went to a barbeque at that weekend. It was held at the house of one of my oldest friends; me and him went to the same school, did the same geeky role-playing, that kind of thing. By random chance we happened to pick and then go to the same university. I don't seem him as much these days: he has a life, a wife, a job that keeps him very busy; and I, uh, don't. Except for maybe the last part.

The barbeques he hosts are practically the only times we get to meet up and chat, but there's only one problem with the barbeques themselves: out of the thirty-odd people there, I only really know about seven of them. The others I only know from being at the barbeques, and I can't actually remember any of their names most of the time.

Thing is, having nothing in common with these people I have nothing to talk about with them, and, as bad as it sounds, I'm not that interested in talking to them anyway. On top of all that is the fact that I'm rubbish at conversations too.

(I told Nathaly I'd do a post on this...)

The only conversations I'm good at are sad geeky ones with sad geeky people I know. Otherwise, it comes down to things like small talk, which I simply can not do. That and a shyness that is criminally vulgar tends to stymie most of my conversational gambits. Oh, and a lot of the time I'm very boring; the few things I am most interested in bores most people, and most of the things other people seem to talk about involves the stuff in their lives I know nothing about.

So, talking is generally out of the question. Which makes talking to the people I really want to talk to that much more frustrating. Especially where small talk is concerned; lots of long, silent pauses are bad. Trust me.



"Most conversations are simply monologues delivered in the presence of witnesses." - Margaret Millar

click

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home