.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

After The Beep     Officially Discombobulated©
The text running across my forehead....

Friday, October 15, 2004

beeeeep!

Not A Very Interesting Week...

...hence the lack of posts. This is only to be expected.

Although... I started playing EVE Online last weekend. Okay, so it cost me to sign up, but that only happened because I downloaded it from their website. If I'd bought it in a shop I'd still have paid for it, just in a different way. Of course, there's also the monthly subscription too.

(Okay, for those who don't know...

EVE Online is the forerunner of next generation massive multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) set in a world of galactic magnitude and governed by a hyper capitalistic economy. In a universe of this scope, you are free to discover your own place, be it in the form of a humble trader ferrying goods from system to system, a despicable pirate preying on anyone foolish enough to cross your path, a heroic combat pilot lancing through the fray as you battle for your faction, or a mighty business icon leading a corporation with hundreds of employees. To accomplish any or all of this, your main tools will include a diverse array of sophisticated equipment, spaceships, and social interfaces, but you’ll also need a strong business acumen, cunning combat strategies, and often pure Machiavellian thinking.

So, you may own many ships but only use one at a time, and you can do whatever takes your fancy.)

It is very pretty. The options seem practically endless, and more are going to be added in a major update in November. I know someone who plays it, and I've been invited to join their corporation, which basically means I'll have a bunch of people I can ask for help or advice.

But here's a strange thing. I've got it installed on both my PC and my laptop, so I can play it when I'm in Andover. It's all fine and super smooth on the PC, but there are two issues when I play it on the laptop.

1. It's a little slower, as the video card is a little old.

2. Also because the video card is a little old... no character has any hair.

I'll just explain. When you create your character, you can set the shape of their face, the hair, their clothing and the background behind them. Like here. Then it seems there is some kind of file that stores the settings that define your unique image, that then recreates the image whenever anyone looks at your character info.

On older video cards, the hair does not get drawn. It just doesn't. Everyone else sees my character as he should be, but I don't. To me, him and everyone else is completely bald.

Weird.

And dull.

I said there was a good reason I hadn't posted anything, hadn't I?


"It has all been very interesting." - last words of Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (1689 - 1762)

click

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home