.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

After The Beep     Officially Discombobulated©
The text running across my forehead....

Monday, November 22, 2004

beeeeep!

Signature Music

I was thinking about something Marnie did a while back, a top ten songs ever list. I knew I could never narrow it down that much, but the other day I went through all the mp3s on my computer and threw this list together.

All of these songs in particular speak to me about something... either it's the words, or the sentiment, or both. I think you can spot a running theme, though. Some are happy, some not so much. Not all of them are the original versions. Particularly important ones are in italics. Some I can't actually listen to anymore because of the meaning they have taken on for me; how stupid of me is that? There might also seem to be some odd, incongruous tracks in there, but that's normal with my playlists. Besides, their presence makes sense to me.

If you want to hear these songs, look them up, download them (legally, of course... just like I did, honestly) or check out the albums they come from. To track them down, and to read the lyrics should you care to, I suggest trying LetsSingIt.com or Sing365.com. They've always worked for me. Well, mostly.

Oh, and if I can be said to have a "theme song" it's definitely How Soon Is Now?.

ADDENDUM: I can't believe I forgot one! There's something new at no. 37, moving everything down one.

Playlist length: 4 hours 42 minutes 29 seconds

 1. Alanis Morissette - Would Not Come
 2. Aqualung - 7 Keys
 3. Aqualung - Brighter Than Sunshine
 4. Aqualung - Can't Get You Out Of My Mind
 5. Aqualung - Extraordinary Thing
 6. Aqualung - Gentle
 7. Aqualung - Good Times Gonna Come
 8. Aqualung - Halfway To The Bottom
 9. Aqualung - If I Fall
10. Aqualung - Nowhere
11. Aqualung - Strange & Beautiful
12. Aqualung - Take Me Home
13. Björk - Human Behaviour
14. Björk - Like Someone In Love
15. Björk - Play Dead
16. Björk - Violently Happy
17. Britney Spears - Everytime
18. Cat Stevens - Wild World
19. Coldplay - Clocks
20. Coldplay - God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
21. Coldplay - Shiver
22. Coldplay - The Scientist
23. Damien Rice - Cannonball
24. Damien Rice - Creep (Live Cover)
25. Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter
26. Daniel Bedingfield - If You're Not The One
27. Death in Vegas - Dirge
28. Foo Fighters - Tired Of You
29. Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
30. Green Day - Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)
31. Green Day - Poprocks & Coke
32. Katie Melua - The Closest Thing To Crazy
33. Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
34. Love Spit Love - How Soon Is Now?
35. Marina Benedict - Back In The Blue
36. Martin Grech - Open Heart Zoo
37. Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
38. Michael Andrews - Mad World
39. Number 96 - Sinner
40. P J Harvey - A Place Called Home
41. P J Harvey - One Line
42. P J Harvey - This Is Love
43. P J Harvey - This Mess We're In
44. Peace Orchestra - Who Am I? (Animatrix Edit)
45. Portishead - All Mine
46. Portishead - Over (Live)
47. Portishead - Sour Times (Live)
48. Robbie Williams - She's The One
49. Robbie Williams - Something Beautiful
50. Robbie Williams with Nicole Kidman - Somethin' Stupid
51. Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
52. Sarah McLachlan - Angel
53. Sarah McLachlan - I Love You
54. Semisonic - Secret Smile
55. Snow Patrol - Run
56. Stereophonics - Maybe Tomorrow
57. Sting And Eric Clapton - It's Probably Me
58. Sugarcubes - Hit
59. t.A.T.u. - 30 Minutes
60. Texas - Inner Smile
61. The Divine Comedy - Songs Of Love
62. The White Stripes - Fell in Love With a Girl
63. The White Stripes - I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
64. Tori Amos - China
65. U2 - With Or Without You



"Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable." - Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

click

5 Comments:

  • Hee, I like your theme song.
    I downloaded it and was surprised that I knew it from *charmed*. I've never paid attention to the lyrics though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:58:00 pm 

  • Yeah, that's where I first knew it from. Of course, it's really a Smiths song; Morrisey at his oh-so-cheerful best. And you don't really get the feel of the lyrics from the cut-down 'Charmed' version... so the full version is quite different.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:59:00 pm 

  • Some I can't actually listen to anymore because of the meaning they have taken on for me

    I know exactly what you mean. I have a few songs like that, too.

    I've only heard 10 of these songs! Shame on me. I do get a sense of a theme, though. I will have to listen to How Soon is Now at some point.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:59:00 pm 

  • Hey, I've been looking everywhere for Marina Benedict's "Back In The Blue," but I can't seem to find it. Where did you get it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:59:00 pm 

  • There's an Angel site called CityOfAngel.com, or there was last I looked. Sign up for their members section, I think they call it The Underground, and head for the media player. There's all kinds of songs there, including Back In The Blue and L.A.

    Enjoy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:00:00 pm 

Post a Comment

<< Home