.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

After The Beep     Officially Discombobulated©
The text running across my forehead....

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

beeeeep!

Like A Horse And Carriage

I was told at the weekend that my brother will be marrying his girlfriend next year. What's really strange is that it was not much of a shock. This was because - get this - it seems I had dreamt about just that the night before. Not in any way that is a solid "I had this dream" kind of a way; it's just a feeling, something I was thinking about while half or fully asleep maybe. But it's weird nonetheless.

Here's the thing though. In my generation of the family, there is me and my brother, two male full cousins from my father's sister and mother's brother -

Okay, to digress. Family 1 has Brother 1 and Sister 1. Family 2 has Brother 2 and Sister 2. Brother 1 marries Sister 2, Brother 2 marries Sister 1. So my parents are also my aunt and uncle from opposite sides, and I and my brother are our own cousins. It sounds complex and suggests we should all be playing banjos, but it's all normal and proper, believe me.

In other words, these cousins are the children of Brother 2 and Sister 1, while I and my brother are the children of Brother 1 and Sister 2. Right? Good.


- and three cousins, two male and one female, from my father's brother, who in this case would be Brother 1a or some such thing. But since he married someone from outside our own little version of Louisiana, he wasn't really worth mentioning at that point.

Anyway: My brother is getting married next year. The older of the "banjo cousins" has now had two kids with his partner, but I have no idea if they are (or are ever getting) married. The younger cousin has just had a kid with his partner, and they are getting married later this year, I think. Of the other cousins, the girl has been married and got divorced (I think) with no kids that I know of, and both the lads have kids and might have been or are married. Details on that side of the family are hazy at best, since I don't get much news from them these days.

Then there's me. Just me, by myself, unattached, unwed, unoffspringed.

Unoffspringed... Is that a word? It is now!

This all almost makes me something of a black sheep. But I guess if you've got to be the black sheep, it's better that it's for something harmless like this, than for being a criminal or something, eh?



"Marriage: putting one's hand into a bag of snakes on the chance of drawing out an eel." - Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519)

click

2 Comments:

  • I actually have a friend who has something like that going, she had two uncles that were really cousins and weren't inbred :P

    So maybe it's more common than you think.

    ...or you're all freaks, either way :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, March 15, 2006 9:32:00 pm 

  • *sound of a banjo playing*

    Yeehaw! Let's git me more o'that hitchhiker stew, ma!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, March 15, 2006 9:32:00 pm 

Post a Comment

<< Home